Drug Education – How did/do we Learn?
- Media – Commercials, News, Movies, Music, Magazines, Internet
- Religion (redirect to “Drugs and Religion”)
- Government (redirect to “War on Drugs”)
How did you learn about the effects of drugs? Have those opinions changed over time?
Parents and Family – Influence You?
- What are their opinions?
- Do you agree with their stance?
- How did they learn?
- Have their opinions changed over time?
- How did they teach about drugs?
- Have you taught them anything? If so, how?
- Are you a parent? If so how/what have you and/or will you teach them about drugs?
Friend and Peers – Influence?
- What were their opinions?
- Did they influence your information? If so, how?
- Did you influence them? If so, how?
Media – Commercials
- What drug commercials do you remember?
- What impact did they have on your opinion/knowledge of drugs?
“This is your brain on drugs. ..Any questions?”
School – What Teachers Say?
- Receive any drug education at school?
- What is appropriate to tell students?
Drug Education – Experimentation?
- If experimented with drugs how closely does your experience match the information/understanding you had of that particular substance?
- Gateway theory
- If experimented have you tried to influence the opinion of others?
- Have others that experimented tried to influence your opinion? How?
Drug Education – Facts vs Fiction
- Costs/Benefits of purposefully misleading public? (e.g. leading them to believe certain drugs are more or less dangerous than the facts indicate).
- Motives of purposefully misleading?
- Half truths? (e.g. downside/ without upside and vice versa).
- Rampant ignorance?
- What prevents someone from knowing the truth about drugs?